About Project 365

I have decided to get back into my photography. I have boycotted my hobby for awhile because I miss the meditating atmosphere of a dark room. (Maybe I just miss the fumes!?!?) When I went to school I can remember spending very long evenings in the dark room and having a sense of accomplishment and creativity! Since I have made the switch to digital photography, I rarely edit the photos I take. With this project I will have different types of photos. All photos will be taken with my iPhone and will not be edited. Some will be normal everyday pics and some artistic in nature, but all will be a little part of my day. Everyday for a year! Here's to going out and finding the creativity again...


Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 22


photo
Originally uploaded by Manpan915
I have looked forward to this night every summer since becoming involved with Aaron's Acres. Aaron’s Acres is a non-profit organization that serves children between the ages of 5 and 21 with special needs.

Tonight was their annual carnival! Kids and their families come out for food, drinks, games, and of course the moon bounce! This year Hartz Physical Therapy really did a nice job organizing the games and bringing out a ton of volunteers! Kudos for Hartz!

In this picture is my buddy Chris. Chris was full of smiles and laughter all night! He and the other kids inspire me in so many ways! The games and activities were not easy for Chris but no one would have known. He played every game with a smile! I might add he is a competitive little bugger too!

A highlight of my night was when a kid was coming toward me in a wheelchair yelling, Hey! Hey! I know you! I realized it was a former student of mine I had in 6th grade. He was there with his family who own the Rita's on Manheim Pike (by the Subway and Isaac's) handing out water ice and coupons. It took him a second to remember where he knew me from. All he could get out at first was John Beck and Social Studies. He said, "I LOVED your social studies class! You made us watch the movie about that Bridges girl and write a paper. It was the best paper I ever wrote! It wasn't fair to treat her mean because she was black!" If that is all I taught him then I did my job! I can't believe he is a senior now!

A little history on how Aaron's Acres got started...

Aaron's Acres was established in 1998. At that time, Risa Paskoff, a well-respected clinical (child) social worker in the Lancaster community, read an article from a group of parents who wanted to provide a summer camp experience for their children who had developmental disabilities.

Their request was to have a camp that provided experiences similar to what most parents throughout the United States want for their children. Risa immediately offered her assistance. With Risa's help and the financial support of a small grant, a one-week summer camp program was established serving 11 children in Lancaster County, ages 4-9 in 1998. Risa became the executive director of Aaron's Acres, and has been the executive director ever since.

Since then , Aaron's Acres has expanded its programs tremendously. In 2003, as a result of receiving feedback from the parents, Risa added a monthly school year program in Lancaster. In 2004, both camps and school year programs were established in Berks County. Beginning in 2006, Aaron's Acres established programs in Dapuhin County as well. The program continues to provide year round recreational and therapeutic services to children in 3 counties - Lancaster, Berks and Dauphin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

msn live stats
Best DSL Provider